Tuesday, August 26, 2008

Here Goes...

So, after a tiring, but fruitful journey, I am here, where I am supposed to be: grad school. Virginia Commonwealth University. Craft/Material Studies. Fiber. A decision was made many months ago, but it just now feels like the ball is rolling. I have a new home, new studio, new peers, new life. I have so many ideas for my time here that they would already fill an entire book... maybe they soon will. This blog is for the ideas that are too special to stash away in my book. 

Odd marks is a befitting name for my first blog. I love the word "odd." Like my name, it has twin letters beside one another. Plus, I am a touch odd. "marks" are drawings, but I also like to think of them as words, too.  Since this blog will include commentary, "marks" is short for remarks. Slapped together, these two words should function well to title my personal meanderings on the web and in life. 

1 comment:

Akiko Jackson said...

I truly wish you were my date to the EdgeWorks performance @ Grace Street Theatre just recently!

http://www.hjwedgeworks.org/

THE DETERMINING FACTOR (Premiere September 2008)
Conceived and directed by choreographer Helanius J. Wilkins, this project is a multi-media dance that examines the often difficult issues around gender, sexuality and spirituality. Through choreography that is fast paced and intricately woven into solo, duet, and group vignettes, sexual minorities are accepted as valued participants on the common ground of the human family. Performed by EDT, the work addresses the denial of homophobia and homosexuality that is so prevalent throughout the Black community. It highlights personal introspection, struggle, and success while, at the same time, being uplifting, energetic, spirited, and entertaining. This work will be available for touring along with residency activities through 2009.

This work is also made possible by:
American Dance Institute, The Washington Blade, The DC Commission on the Arts & Humanities, The New England Foundation for the Arts, National Performance Network, Thelma Hill Performing Arts Center, and Human Rights Campaign (HRC).